What is the District Plan?
The District Plan contains our objectives, policies, rules and maps for managing activities and development in the district.
The Resource Management Act 1991 requires councils to prepare a District Plan.
The District Plan is the main document that sets the framework for managing land use and development within our district. It contains objectives, policies and rules to address resource management issues such as the effects of land use and subdivision, noise and traffic.
The rules of the District Plan set out what activities you can do as of right (permitted activities) and what activities you'll need resource consent for. These rules cover things like residential development, subdivision of land, the height and location of buildings, commercial and industrial developments, heritage and noise.
The District Plan is subject to ongoing monitoring and review and is changed when necessary. Please take care to check if the land, locality or rule you are concerned with is subject to any form of change by checking out the Operative District Plan and any proposed changes being looked at.
Operative District Plan July 2015
The new South Waikato District Plan has been declared operative from 1 July 2015.
The latest version of the Plan is now available for download or viewing online. It incorporates all of the amendments made by the Environment Court consent order, plus a set of minor corrections made by Council on 28 May 2015.
Download a Copy of the Operative District Plan
- Download a full copy of the plan's rules and objectives (3,094Kb)
- Download Appendices A-D and F-K (all appendices excluding Significant Natural Areas & Statutory Acknowledgements) (7,720Kb)
- Download Appendix E - Significant Natural Areas (1,001Kb)
- Download Appendix L - Statutory Acknowledgements (Added November 2015 - 293Kb)
- Note: To keep the document size to a minimum, the Appendix E PDF file does not include the 300+ maps that are associated with Significant Natural Areas. All of these maps can be located online and are referenced in the online version of the file.
- View the Online Operative District Plan (ePlan)
- View the full document, heritage inventory and maps online here
- View the District Plan Section 32 repor