Did you know?
Over the last 10 years 14 people have lost their lives and 19 have been seriously injured in the South Waikato and all the crashes had fatigue as a major factor in the crash.
Here are some tips on to spot and prevent fatigue while driving and avoiding becoming part of the statistics.
Signs of driver fatigue:
- Blinking frequently
- Cannot stop yawning
- Wandering out of your lane
- Not remembering driving the last few kilometres
- Wandering thoughts
What you can do to reduce the chances of suffering driver fatigue?
- Get a good night’s sleep before driving, preferably eight hours.
- Avoid driving in the hours you normally wold be sleeping.
- Share the driving when possible
- When taking long trips, plan your journey to include rest breaks.
- Ensure you get plenty of fresh air.
What doesn’t help?
- Coffee or caffeine based drinks
- Loud music
- Blasting cold air at your face.