Roading (Southtech)

 What does the Roading activity do?

The roading activity includes resealing, pavement rehabilitation, seal widening, general

maintenance, seal extension, road marking, traffic services, road safety, footpaths and drainage.

Reseal (Roads and cycleway)
Up to 40km of resealing is carried out in any one year and includes both chip seals and Asphalt Concrete. The reseal programme triggered by a number of reasons with the two important ones being age and condition of the old seal.
Pavement Rehabilitation
Pavement rehabilitation involves full width repairs of existing road pavements, including some smoothing, widening and strengthening of layers to address large maintenance issues.
Seal widening
This activity focuses on improving widths on high volume roads and low volume through roads used by heavy vehicles on a daily basis. As far as is practicable seal widening is carried out in conjunction with resealing and/or pavement rehabilitation to improve cost effectiveness. The programme addresses around 3-4km annually.
Seal extension
Seal extensions are an improvement to the network providing improved amenity values for residents, and dust free surface more tolerant to weather conditions. This activity does not attract funding from NZTA and Council targets around 400-600m every alternate year.
Road marking
Council remarks the district's entire road marking on an annual basis (November), with the rural heavier used roads receiving another re-mark prior to winter.
Traffic services
As part of managing the entire network Council installs and maintains a variety of signs and streetlighting designed to keep the network in a usable and safe state for roads, footpaths and cycleway users.
General maintenance
Roading maintenance is undertaken by a maintenance contractor and includes repairs to small areas of road, potholes, maintains of kerb lines, carries out vegetation control on the sides of roads, kerbside chemical spraying, rural road side mowing, street sweeping, carpark maintenance and rural road side mowing. This work is triggered through routine inspections, contract reporting, service requests or complaints from the public and may be a response to wear and tear.

What we don't do?

Council's roading activity doesn't include:
·         Any roading issues on State Highways
·         Any issues on private properties (i.e. entranceways and internal access roads)
·         Urban stormwater beyond the cesspit


Physical objects on footpath (businesses)

Any physical objects to be used or displayed on the footpath need a permit to ensure the safety of pedestrians. These objects include umbrellas, tables, chairs, barriers and signs. The permit is free of charge. An application to occupy footpath needs to be filled out and submitted to Council.

Application to Occupy Footpath


Local Authorities (Councils) require any person intending to dig in the Road Corridor to apply for and have approved prior to the commencement of works, a Road Opening Notice.

To date, the requirement to apply for a RON (Road Opening notice) has been a separate process to the requesting of plans and locates services via the beforeUdig service. 

Click on their logo below to go to their website.


Page reviewed: 17 Feb 2014 3:37pm