Registration of Premises

The Environmental Health Section is responsible for the registration of a number of types of businesses. This is to protect the health of the public. Re-registration is done on an annual basis around mid-year. Should you require any further details please contact the Senior Environmental Health Officer.

Food premises
Funeral Home/Mortuary
Offensive Trades
Itinerant traders and hawkers
Footpath Permits

Food premises

'Food premises' means:

  • Any premises:
    • on or at which food is manufactured, prepared, packed, stored or handled for sale;
    • or on or from which food is sold;
    • or that is used in connection with any other food premises for the purpose of their work, by persons who work on those other food premises.
  • any stall (includes mobile shops)

Examples include: dairies, supermarkets, takeaway bars, bakeries etc.

License requirements for food premises

All premises selling food generally require a licence under the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974. If you are unsure, check with the Environmental Health Officers, who can be contacted on (07) 885 0709 or (07) 885 0771.

Foreign matter in food

This could include anything from plasters and hair to insects and bits of machinery. In such incidences,  report this to MPI Food Safety by phone on 0800 693 721, or by email:

Food Poisoning

What causes food poisoning?
Food poisoning may be caused by any bacteria, virus or protozoan that grows on, or is carried by food and can cause illness. It may also include chemical hazards. Examples of this include excessive or toxic amounts of lubricants, metals, pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, vitamins, minerals, preservatives, disinfectants, detergents and cleaning compounds.

Who can I call regarding a food poisoning complaint?
Contact the Public Health section of the Waikato District Health Board on (07)838 2569.

Where can I get information about food quality/labelling?
Food quality, ingredients and labelling requirements are listed in the Food Act 1981. The Health Protection Officers at the Waikato District Health Board administer assorted food regulations. They can be contacted on (07) 838 2569.


If you conduct a hairdressing business for money from home or from a commercial outlet you need to be licensed under the Health (Hairdressers) Regulations 1980. These requirements are in place to protect the public health, which could be at risk due to the potential outbreak of, for example, head lice. Animal grooming is exempt.

Funeral Home/Mortuary

If the funeral home contains a mortuary where bodies are embalmed, then the premise must be licensed under the Health (Burial) Regulations 1946 of the Health Act. There is a host of health risks associated with the handling of dead bodies. Included, although not limited to, is the issue of fly control, the isolation of body fluids, and the reasons behind the person's death (for example, was the person suffering from an infectious disease at the time of his death).

Offensive Trades

Premises must be registered under Section 54 of the Health Act 1956. Consent is required in writing from the South Waikato District Council and the Medical Officer of Health before the initial registration. However, where a Resource Consent has been granted, local authority consent and registration is not required. Some examples of offensive trades are:

  • blood or offal treating
  • fellmongering
  • fish cleaning or curing
  • gut scraping and treating
  • storage, drying or reserving of bones, hides, hoofs or skins,
  • tanning.

If you have any questions relating to what constitutes an offensive trade contact an Environmental Health Officers, who can be contacted on (07) 885 0709 or (07) 885 0771.

Itinerant traders and hawkers

Itinerant traders and hawkers are permitted under the South Waikato District Plan and can sell a variety of goods. However, prior to trading, a licence to operate must be obtained from the Council. The procedure the Council follows is to protect District residents from possibly purchasing stolen goods or becoming victims of con-artists and scams. The Council vets the character of the person wishing to trade in the District in conjunction with the police and also looks at any potential problems that could be associated with the intended trading. If food is offered for sale, then the Plan requires that the vehicle and depot comply with the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974.

Footpath Permit

Footpath permits are available free of charge from the South Waikato District Council. The permit allows any activity (food-stall, busking, promoting, electioneering, canvassing) on footpaths provided that that activity has approval from adjacent businesses in that location.

For further information, go to Public Health & Food Safety.

Page reviewed: 09 Jul 2015 1:25pm