About Building Consents

Do you need a building consent?
Building Consent Application Requirements
Amendments to Building Consents

Do you need a building consent?

Some building works do not require Building Consents. Very briefly these are:

  • routine maintenance
  • power poles
  • dams - please contact Waikato Regional Council, who have jurisdiction for all dam building consents
  • any mast or pole less than 7 metres high
  • any retaining wall less than 1.5 metres high that does not support any load
  • any wall or fence less than 2 metres high
  • any tank or pool at ground level that holds less than 25,000 litres, and above ground tanks of lesser capacity
  • the construction, alteration or removal or any tent or marquee that has a floor area not exceeding 100 square metres if that tent or marquee is, or has been, for private use for a period of not more than one month.
  • any platform or bridge less than 1 metre above ground level

As the above is only a brief outline of the 'exempt building schedule' owners should contact one of Council's Building Control Officers for clarification, particularly if they have any doubts or concerns or refer to the following form: Building work that does not require Building Consent.

You may be exempt from needing a building consent for plumbing and drainage repairs, but these works must be carried out by registered trades people.

The Building Control Officer may ask for a sketch of the proposed work, but will usually be able to say whether or not a building consent will be required, based on the information gained during a discussion.

There is no charge for this exercise.

Building Consent Application Requirements

When you apply for a building consent you need to supply detailed information, documentation and a fee based on the value of the project.

If insufficient information is supplied or the application (form 2) is not completed it will be returned to you.

Please note a full description of the proposed work is required in the application form eg: if the application is for a new house with a solar water heating system and a free standing fireplace please state this.

Amendments to Building Consents

If you wish to make an alteration to an existing Building Consent you can apply for an amendment; there may be a charge for this.

For building consents issued from 31 March 2005, the Building Act 2004 requires that the building must comply with the issued building consent. It is therefore important that significant variations from the approved Building Consent are recorded by the issue of an amendment to the Building Consent.

For further information contact Building

For all forms please use this link

Page reviewed: 13 Mar 2018 3:10pm