Tokoroa landfill to open Saturday 9 May
Released: Friday 8 May, 3.30pm
South Waikato District Council is pleased to advise its community that the Tokoroa landfill will be open to the public from tomorrow, Saturday 9 May.
Council’s Infrastructure Manager Phil Burt advises that the facility will be open on its normal days, Tuesday to Sunday, between 9am and 4pm, until further notice; starting from Saturday 9 May.
“We know many in our community will be pleased to hear this,” said Mr Burt. “It is however, not operating as normal due to COVID-19 restrictions. If you intend to visit the landfill, we encourage you to read this full media statement.”
- NO cash - paywave and eftpos only.
- Limited number of vehicles allowed on site at any one time. Expect delays and wait times.
- Exercise physical distancing on site.
- Greenwaste can be processed.
- Limited to a maximum of two people per vehicle.
- Contact tracing in place. Please comply with requirements.
- Landfill access under traffic management. Please adhere to all directions from security and compliance personnel. Queues down Newell Road possible.
- Be respectful of the people who live in Newell Road. Don’t block driveways.
- Wash your hands when you get home.
- Be patient. Be kind.
Mr Burt also cautions that the first weekend will likely be very busy.
“If your visit is not desperate or urgent, we suggest you perhaps wait until next week,” he continued. “The recycling area is obviously also available, but again, if you only want to use the recycling area, we suggest you don’t visit this weekend.”
In addition, to avoid congestion on Newell Road Council encourages users of Cougar Park to access this reserve via the David Foote Park entrance off Mossop Road this weekend.
The Putāruru Transfer Station is not yet open to the public. Given it opens directly on to State Highway 1, traffic management is proving more complex to finalise. Council is working on getting this facility open, but does not have a date yet.
Council thanks its community for their cooperation. Ends. Words: 326