Tokoroa Road Rail Terminal
The Tokoroa Road Rail Terminal is a public-private partnership contributing to the economic success of the South Waikato by creating jobs, growing existing business, attracting new business and improving road safety.
- Access a short two minute video here. This video provides an overview of the facility in action and the drivers for the project.
- Access the original proposal document.
- Council has compiled a number of media statements over the past two years. These are linked below:
- Council allocates $4.7 million
- Council backs terminal in Tokoroa
- Development within noise limits
- Tokoroa Road Rail Terminal Official Opening
- MPs visit Tokoroa Road Rail Terminal
Summary of the project
The Tokoroa Road Rail Terminal consists of a rail siding, hard stand, container loading area and access road - is testament to South Waikato District Council's commitment towards attracting business investment. While already successful, the development is a future-proofed long term project that will continue to show returns over the coming decade.
Our Council took a brave stand in leading this project, committing over $2 million in funding, multi-partner facilitation, staff resource and continued involvement. This commitment has delivered an initiative that is making a real contribution to economic development in the South Waikato.
The Road Rail Terminal project aimed to move transporting product by road to rail to reduce truck kilometres on the road network and reduce the cost of doing business. It also aimed to attract additional business, create jobs and develop a distribution and logistics hub that capitalises on our central position with strong road and rail links; thereby growing the South Waikato economy.