South Waikato District Brand Project
South Waikato district has an indistinct identity. Few people outside the district know where it is or what its constituent towns are. It is seen an add-on to, or part of, Waikato.
Previous market research commissioned in February 2019 shows business owners in Auckland, Tauranga and Hamilton either believe South Waikato to have a notorious reputation or do not know where it is.
This project will update aging signage and revitalise district and town entrances through landscaping, signage and features. This exercise will be most successful if there is engagement with South Waikato resident groups including Pākehā, Māori, Pasifika, senior citizens, youth, businesses large and small, community groups and target market stakeholders.
Couldn't make one of the street talk sessions?
The link below will take you to our ideas wall where you’ll be able to have your say on five different topics, upload photos, share ideas and pass on other information you think could help guide us through this project.
Let us have your feedback on our engagement page here.
Our mission is to create a unifying idea that will ultimately help the district to thrive. It must:
- Create an individual identity for each town
- Evoke the stories of the district and its towns
- Reflect the values of the residents
- Reflect the ambition of the people
- Build pride in the district so locals can advocate
- Welcome investors, residents, visitors
Process - the how
We are working with our PR firm Wright Communications and community engagement specialist Tania Jones to capture your views. Here's the plan. From June to August we will:
- Review the ambitions you have already fed to us in the concept plan consultation
- Establish a stakeholder reference group representing all sectors of the community
- Publicise this project and set up Social Pinpoint so anyone can give us their thoughts (link coming soon)
- Conduct interviews with stakeholder reference group members and external stakeholders
- Engage with Raukawa, school children, youth, business, Pacjfici Island and town communities
- All that will feel into the brand concept to be workshopped with the stakeholder reference group.
The engagement process will be filmed and edited into a video so a record of our journey together can be shared with you.
Outcome - a distinctive South Waikato brand that evokes pride
A bold and distinctive brand concept for each town in South Waikato that:
- Has been created with extensive community input
- Reflects the ambitions and values of local people
- Creates a strong identity for the district and its towns
- Enables locals to advocate for South Waikato with pride
- Is distinctive and recognisable to people outside the district.
This brand process is deliberately designed to capture the essence of the South Waikato and its towns with a core idea.
We absolutely want your input so we get it right and you can advocate with pride.
- Remove current aging town signage
- Develop new look and feel
- Create designs for each major town entrance
- Create within-district signage designs (waypoints)
- Create new imagery for district entrances
- Construct and install town entrance features and waypoint signage
- Replace images on existing district entrance signage