Hey South Waikato! Want a fun competition to do during the school holidays? Try out our Civil Defence Wordsearch and be in to win one of 10 Civil Defence Packs! Download and print from here or pop along to the Tokoroa Library, Council offices or the Dog in Tīrau and pick up a hard copy.
About Civil Defence
In an emergency it is important to know where to get information from. For South Waikato residents there are several sources of information.
- Here, on Council's website.
- Listen to the radio for updates.
- Download Antenno for up to date notifications, that are particularly useful during an emergency. Free from Google Play or the App Store. Go to this link for more information.
- Follow Council's Facebook page here.
- Keep an eye on Waikato Regional Council's Flood Room here. This page is updated with event information, contact details, river levels, rainfall, road closures, weather information and more.
- Install the Hazard App to help you and your family prepare for and respond to hazards in New Zealand. The app is a vital tool to help you get through emergencies and get disaster alerts. There is an informative video, which will guide you through the process of downloading Hazard app. and how to use it.
Be part of the Community Response Group
If you belong to a community organisation or group, school, kindergarten, Marae, church, or club, our Civil Defence team would like to meet with you, and get some contact details so we can better work with you if we had an emergency.
Each community knows its own situation best, so it is important that you have a say in the plans that we in Civil Defence create for your community.
One amazing way to do this is to become a part of your nearest Civil Defence Community Response Group, or create one for your area or field of interest (such as lifestyle block owners). You choose the best way to run your group, you will get to create your own Community Response Plan, and you'll have a direct connection to Civil Defence.
If you join or create a community response group, you'll have access to:
- your own forum
- an online portal to host your group's documents
- access to exclusive behind-the-scenes information from around the region and the country
- exclusive previews
- specialised invitation-only training and events
- even official Community Response branding for you to use on anything from badges to t-shirts to posters.
The team will give you step-by-step templates so everything is totally easy to set up and use, and will personally guide and train you. Get in touch now.