Apply for the Scholarship
Applications are now open for the 2018 Mayoral Scholarship.
Applications close - Wednesday 25 October 2017.
The recipient will be announced on 3 November 2017.
How to Apply
To apply for the Mayoral Scholarship you can do the following:
Objective of the Scholarship
To provide financial support to two youth (aged no more than 21) who are to commence a full time degree course of study in 2018. This support will be available for the term of the relevant Degree or four years, whichever is the lesser. The successful applicants will receive $2,500 per year subject to the information as shown below.
Criteria for Selection
- Submission of curriculum vitae, references and application form by 25 October 2017; and
- Appropriate NZQA-approved University entrance details (refer section B of application form); and
- Reference from the Principal of the student’s secondary school or an appropriate other person if the applicant has been away from school for more than 12 months; and
- Evidence of extra curricular activities; and
- South Waikato residency
Other matters that may be considered include: whether the tertiary skills would be of benefit to Council; the financial capacity of the applicant to complete a qualification with no external assistance, and any other factor the selection or interview panel may wish to consider.
A selection panel will consist of the Mayor, Chief Executive, Human Resources Manager and one other elected member appointed by the Mayor. The purpose of the selection panel is to create a shortlist of applicants for interview. The decision of the selection panel will be final, all candidates will be notified and no further correspondence will be entered into with applicants who are not shortlisted.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by the Mayor, one other elected member (appointed by the Mayor), the Human Resources Manager and an external advisor (also appointed by the Mayor). The decision of the interview panel will be final, all candidates will be notified and no further correspondence will be entered into with unsuccessful applicants.
- Holiday work experience may be offered to the successful applicant by Council during the term of the course of study. If such work is offered, the student would be expected to accept the offer.
- On completion of the qualification, the Scholarship recipient may be offered employment with Council. If such an offer is made, the person would be expected to accept the offer.
Any of the following events during the term of the course of study would result in the recipient losing their Mayoral Scholarship:
- A criminal conviction
- Failure of more than 20% of papers in any one year
- Leaving full time study before the completion of their Degree
- Failure to provide academic transcripts as requested
Payment of the Scholarship
There will be two equal payments, the first being 1 March and the second 1 August of each year.
Initial enquiries should be made to the Human Resources Manager (07 885 0744) or to
Jacki Parr (07 885 0746).